I’m a writer and workshop facilitator, currently writing poetry although in the past I’ve also written scripts and short fiction. The Misplaced House was published by tall-lighthouse in November 2014. A little more about me below. I blog regularly and recent articles are here.
Josephine Corcoran lives in Wiltshire where she is involved in poetry and literature projects. She has facilitated writing workshops in universities, schools, adult education centres and libraries, as well as in a museum, a Town Hall and an art gallery. In 2016 she started a Poetry Society Stanza group in Trowbridge which currently meets at Trowbridge Town Hall on the second Monday of each month.
The next meeting is on Monday 10 April, 6- 8pm. Details here.
Josephine has been a Writer in Residence for the Arts Council at libraries in Wiltshire and was a Project Worker for The Reader Organisation when she set up and ran weekly read aloud groups for people with dementia and their carers. She was the inaugural Poet in Residence at Trowbridge Town Hall (September – December 2016) where she facilitated a series of poetry workshops and events including Say it with a Poem on National Poetry Day.
Her play The Songs that Houses Sing was broadcast on BBC R4 in 2000.
Her short story Algebra was broadcast on BBC R4 in 1998.
Her play Jocasta was performed at The Chelsea Theatre, London, in 1997.
She was a runner-up in the Bridport Prize in 2010 and won the Stafford Poetry Competition (judged by Michael Hulse) in 2012. In 1997 she won first prize in the Ian St James short story awards.
Since 2012, her poems have been published in The Rialto; Under the Radar; The North; New Walk; Poetry Wales; Poems in Which; Ink, Sweat & Tears; The Morning Star; The Interpreter’s House; The Manchester Review; The New Writer; New Linear Perspectives; Domestic Cherry and other places.
Her work is anthologised in, among other places, The Bridport Prize Winners anthology 2010; A Complicated Way of Being Ignored; Peleton; Live Canon Winners anthology 2013; Vanguard #1; 154 Sonnets; Remembering Oluwale;Catapult; Pulse Fiction; Snapshots; and All Write 2011 (poetry for children).
Josephine has performed her poetry at Swindon Poetry Festival; Derwent Poetry Festival; Camberwell Arts Festival; Stafford Library; The Torriano, London; Vanguard, London; The Poetry Cafe, London; The Poetry Shuffle, London; Words & Ears, Bradford-on-Avon; Poetry Swindon; Uncut Poets, Exeter; Buzzwords, Cheltenham; A Poem and a Pint, Bath; The Enemies Project South West Poetry Tour 2016.
Josephine is founder and editor of And Other Poems.
SELECTION OF WORK ONLINE
Listen to Josephine reading some of her poems on SoundCloud here.
- 10 March 2017 – Peter Raynard has written about Josephine’s poem Working Class Poem at Proletarian Poetry.
- 8 March 2017 – A short article by Josephine about her approach to writing poems in Poetry Wales.
- 29 June 2016 – Anthony Wilson has written about her poem You say drone in his Lifesaving Poems feature.
- 7 June 2016 – Hazel Burke has written about her micropoem Picnic in the Could be Verse column in Standard Issue magazine.
- June 2016 – three tiny stories/poems at LossLit magazine.
- March 2016 – six poems from her pamphlet The Misplaced House at Poethead.
- August 2015 – Old Girls at Ink Sweat & Tears
- June 2015 – Holiday and A dream about Martin Scorsese at The Manchester Review
- Maria Taylor wrote about her poem Stephen Lawrence isn’t on the National Curriculum at her blog.
- October 2013 – My Ted Hughes Story in New Linear Perspectives (Slow Light Issue)
- October 2013 – Poem in which we hear the word ‘drone’ on Poems In Which
- 29 August, 2013 Stephen Lawrence isn’t on the National Curriculum in Morning Star newspaper and online here
- April 2013 – In Town For A Funeral, We Drive Past Our Old House And See It Is For Sale feat. on Abegail Morley’s blog The Poetry Shed
- 12 July 2012 – What Becomes of the Absent-Minded? in Ink, Sweat & Tears
- January 2012 – Winter in Ink, Sweat & Tears (12 Days of Christmas 2011/12)
- 2010 – Honeymoon (runner up in the Bridport Prize) at And Other Poems.
- 2000 – The Songs That Houses Sing – (45 minute play) broadcast on BBC Radio 4, 11 July 2000 – Producer Jeremy Mortimer
- 1998 – Algebra (short story) broadcast on BBC Radio 4, 21 January 1998 – Producer Pauline Stone
PERFORMANCES OF WORK
- 2013 – Thanks for not switching me off (poem) performed at The Greenwich Theatre, London SE by The Live Canon Ensemble in the Live Canon Poetry Competition Prize Giving Show
- 1997 – Jocasta – (full length stage play) performed at The Chelsea Centre Theatre, Kings Road, London SW3, 8 October – 1 November 1997
- 2015 – selected for the Aldeburgh Eight Advanced Poetry Seminar
- 2013: Live Canon Poetry Competition – Runner Up
- 2012: Bridport Prize – Shortlisted for two Flash Fiction entries
- 2012: The Stafford Poetry Competition (Judge Michael Hulse) – First Prize
- 2011: Grist New Writing (Judge Michael Stewart, Huddersfield University) – Runner Up (Poetry)
- 2010: Bridport Prize – (Judge Michael Laskey) – Runner Up (Poetry)
- 1998: Arts Council/BBC Write Out Loud Award for Radio Drama
- 1997: Funding for MA – British Academy Studentship
- 1996: Ian St James Awards for Short Story Writing (First Prize)
- 1996 and 1994: Philip le Brun Prize (Chichester University) for Creative Writing
Josephine has read at:
- Performed a new collaborative poem with Louisa Adjoa Parker written for The Enemies Project: South West Poetry Tour (UK) at Schumacher College, Old Postern, Totnes TQ9 6EA, August 3rd. I wrote about the experience of this collaboration here.
- A Poem and a Pint, St James’ Wine Vaults, Bath. Guest reader with HappenStance poet Stephen Payne. May 9th.
- With other Aldeburgh Eight poets at The Poetry Café (The Poetry Place), 22 Betterton Street, London WC2H 9BX Saturday 27th February 2016. Details here.
- Buzzwords, Cheltenham, January 3rd 2016, 8pm. Flyer here.
Camberwell Arts Festival, London, June 2015.
Uncut Poets, Exeter Phoenix, 26th March, 2015. More details here and here. Post about this here.
Tuesday, 13th January 2015 Guest Reader at Poetry Swindon, Victoria Pub, 88 Victoria Road, Swindon SN1 3BD.
Monday, 5th January 2015 – Guest Reader at Words and Ears, The Swan, Bradford-on-Avon. More details on this flyer: Words and Ears flyer Post about reading at Words and Ears here.
Monday, 8th December, 2014 – Josephine’s debut poetry pamphlet, The Misplaced House, was launched at The Poetry Café, Betterton Street, London WC2H 9BX. More details here. Blog about the event by Isabel Rogers here.
Vanguard, The Bear Freehouse, 296a Camberwell New RD, London SE5 0RP on Thursday, November 20th, 2014. Post about this here.
Torriano Meeting House, Kentish Town, London Sunday, 2nd March 2014. Josephine wrote about reading at The Torriano here.
Derwent Poetry Festival 2013, Launch of Peloton (Templar poetry anthology), The Archive Room, Masson Mill (Nov 2013). Read more here.
Swindon Festival of Poetry 2013: M4 Corridor Poetry Day at The Platform, Faringdon Road, Swindon SN1 5BJ (October 2013).
Stafford Poetry Competition Prizegiving, Stafford Library (May 2012). Post about this here.